Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A to Z: Ulysses

U for the Blogging from A to Z Challenge.

is for Ulysses


His travels are 
unrest 
until
his newer world.
Hero
with life he swallows
licking the last of every drop.
Following knowledge
like a sinking star.

In Troy
he left his name.
His "delight in battle"
a horse
in
war. 
Onward, towards the 
untraveled worlds
before the margin fades.

He returns with the Star of Dawn
Bootes and Pleiades
can both be seen.
A configuration of form
in the twilight sky.

They lost their life together
in prime
and flowering years.
As the sun-warmed earth is longed for by a swimmer
his dear wife,
still clear and faithful
after the test of years.

Moved earth and heaven.
Made weak by time
and fate.
That is what
what we are.
Equal in temper
strayed by starlet
of a heroic heart.

10 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! I always feel bad for Penelope, waiting on a weary adventurer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same for Queen Gorgo, Leonidas' wife in Sparta. She is approached in the same way.

      Delete
  2. This is great! So moving and creative. I've had surgery Friday but I'm baaak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debra! I'm glad you are back and I hope that you are well.

      Delete
  3. How do we want to be remembered? By noble and brave deeds or for faithful love of those who are dear to us. Sadly these latter ones don't get many tale written about them. But I will still prefer to be put in that category. As inspirational as all these tales were and as beautifully as your piece is written I still have that niggling doubt that propaganda has been well to the fore for thousands of years to so many's loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One or the other must be sacrificed, right? I prefer that category as well. I hold the same admiration for the women, they are the fuel for strength.

      These tales are dear to me.

      Delete
  4. Your poetry is vivid and beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Following knowledge/ like a sinking star. I love that.

    ReplyDelete